St Monica`s College is centrally located in the Cairns CBD, one block from the sea front (Cairns Esplanade). It is adjacent to St Monica`s Cathedral, renowned for its beautiful stained glass windows, The Creation Windows. The Cathedral is used for all College liturgies. All learning spaces are air-conditioned and equipped with IT Technology. Our College canteen operates every school day. Each student is issued with a locker so that her belongings can be stored securely. The College is surrounded by lawn areas and tropical gardens and makes extensive use of its central location to take students to sporting venues, theatres and restaurants which are very close.
This is the College Administration Building which was the former Convent of the Sisters of Mercy. It has been renovated and refurbished in 2002 and now houses the College reception area, offices, students services including Counselling, First Aid facility, staff rooms and meeting rooms. This building is heritage listed and has beautiful woodwork, staircases and the Convent bell. It was built from 1912 to 1914.
This is the College multi-purpose Hall/gymnasium which was constructed in 1999. It is extensively used for Physical Educational, Performing Arts events, College Assemblies, College dances, Awards Nights and special events. The Centre is fully air conditioned and has sound and lighting equipment which students learn to use.
The College has a one to one Laptop Program for Year 7 through to Year 12. The College has a comprehensive computer infrastructure, wirelessly accessible throughout the campus. There is a dedicated computer lab located on the ground floor of the Agnes Building. All computers and software are updated regularly.
The Science Department has a specialist floor in our new Agnes Building, which consists of laboratories, demonstration rooms and Science general learning areas plus a comprehensive fully equipped Preparation Room.
Our new Library, the Dungarvan Learning Centre, is a luxurious facility, which fills the ground floor of our new Agnes Building. It consists of a teaching area, a research area and fiction reading lounge as well as a computer laboratory. The library has very extensive print, audio and video resources and computer access. It is a very well equipped and student friendly area which supports student learning. As well as a large general area, there are two seminar rooms for audio visual presentations.
This building in also heritage listed and was renovated and refurbished in 2000. It was the original high school block for St Monica`s and was built in 1941. Cecilia Centre houses a class room, Year Coordinator offices and our Learning Support Centre.
Our outstanding Performing Arts Department is housed on the top floor of the Agnes Building. Our Performing Arts facilities comprise of: a Dance studio, with a sprung floor; a Drama studio and two Music rooms. All areas have operable walls, which allow us to open up the space for a diverse range of experiences, presentations and performances.